Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Why We Comment

Commenting is an honor and a privilege. What readers often don’t realize is how much they can add to a post by commenting.

The old model was “broadcast.” Your radio, television, or newspaper communicated “at” you. The result was lowest common denominator news, education, and entertainment.

In 1999, the Cluetrain Manifesto started with “All Markets Are Conversations” (meaning two-way), and the genie was out of the bottle. Today, those traditional broadcast channels are adding conversational opportunities to halt their audience erosion.

Most of the comments I get on my posts expand and enrich my understanding of each subject. I am grateful.

When I see comments on other blogs, they usually increase the believability of a post while adding new data.

Commenting is an acquired skill. We get better with practice. Commenting seldom takes much effort, and a thoughtful comment improves understanding.

In the future, when you have the opportunity, please comment.

Might as well start here! *grin*

5 comments:

  1. Your Mother wears Army boots ;>) Sorry, could not pass that up.
    Asking me to comment to make you smarter is, perhaps, the wrong message. Instead, please consider the power of the notion of "continuing the conversation" about whatever subject. Then, we ALL learn and we are ALL grateful. Weather's getting nice, we need to golf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dick,

    I enjoy reading and commenting your blog as it is both thought provoking and imformative. As we live in the United States, it is my privlege to be able to voice my opinion openingly and candidly. I am glad that you enjoy it.

    Speaking of communications, I was watching an old movie from the 1940's about Lou Gehrig starring Gary Cooper the other day. The one thing that occurred to me while watching it was how simple communications were at that time. Newspaper, radio and word of mouth were about the only means of getting news. Have far have we come from then to now. It amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should have read, "How far....". My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dick,
    Interesting you should post this topic as I, a newbie, aka retired 70 year old, off the grid with health issues for the last 8 years, never too great with technology anyway, am wishing for commentary/ conversation on my beginning blogging attempts to extend the reach of my new book.

    Several thoughts, I haven't orchestrated a way to get basic traffic to the site, and/or my blogs are not provocative enough, and/or yet too much of a beginner with social media strategy you have laid out in previous blogs, etc. etc.

    As a former member of your Sales Lab 15 years ago, under the moniker of Martha Spice, I have fond memories of the days when it all seemed easier. But now...what I have is time and a learning curve that feels steep. I guess I'm either old enough, or young enough to be willing to take it on.

    Thanks for saying that we get better when we practice. Consider this my practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Happy Spring, Martha!

    Here's something to consider. Do you want to control the platform or the conversation? I've found some 20 groups where I have been a president, membership, or speaker and I post my good stuff there, too.

    Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete