Search This Blog

Saturday, September 22, 2012

BOTR - The Other Side Of Project Management

I'm fascinated by people who can tell when others aren't doing their part. Defining fault is to them a higher value alternative to contributing.

I go into a project figuring I'll do it all, if it comes down to that. Now that’s a key decision criteria!

Get more than half of the project team feeling that way and you've got it licked. Leadership is not exhortation or blaming, but demonstration.

If you can get everybody pointing fingers, you've got a classic project meltdown. "I don't think it was my wasting time in the constant meetings, some other guy who musta caused it!"

Lord Of The Rings was thirteen losers who could never complete the project...but they did. If you want to read how it would have happened had they used best practice project blamemaking, get a copy of Bored Of The Rings, now available as an ebook.

Join us at DevFestDC September 28th, for awesome new technologies and resources for building projects and companies!

2 comments:

  1. Teamwork is the essense of a successful project. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found myself in a dusty, dirty mobile classroom one of the first times I taught adult programmers. As soon as the first class was over, I started washing down desks, chairs, boards, everything. I didn't want my students coming into such a classroom again. Mid-cleanup session, my customer liaison came in and asked what I was doing and I explained. He made sure my classroom was never dirty again.

    ReplyDelete